1.20.2010



"My husband is up in the Eiffel Tower with the other two kids, Claudia, 11, and Drake, 6. We take them on trips every single summer. They each have their suitcases, their backpacks. We’re like a spectacle in the airport, but they get it, they know exactly what to do. My husband goes in front, then Claudia (the oldest), then Ingrid, then Drake, then Mila, and I’m in the back. People look at you like ‘Wow, how are you doing that?’ But we’ve never traveled as a couple by ourselves — we’ve never even gone to Vegas for two nights without them. For our next vacation, we’re off to Norway for 19 days. We don’t really think that it’s not doable — we just book the trip and go.”


Still no progress with the computer situation. (we are tottoring between repair and new.) But I wanted to share this snippet from the NYT Why We Travel slide show. It helps reafirm that some of my seemingly conflicting day dreams don't have to be so.

Miss ya'll.

9 comments:

  1. yes, this will be me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. But maybe with less children. Three I think. Four is too many. Although some days I want six. I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too but with only one child and i have this dream where we escape for a month or so at a time to italy, south american adventure, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!

    He-Mouse thinks that everything stops when you have kids. I vote that everything keeps going, amplified.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah. Only with one in tow.

    Though, I suppose they would have more fun if there were 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is definitely something we intend to keep doing after we have kids. My mom took my siblings and me to Brasil every other summer growing up (my dad was rarely able to go because of work), and it still amazes me that she did it so many times by herself. And once the oldest is able to help with the younger kids, things do get easier for the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would love to be like that. i got to go to italy every few years growing up and i'm really grateful. it's so encouraging, but at the same time, probably soo expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where in Norway are you going? I grew up in Stavanger (south coast) so would selfishly recommend it! It is the most child perfect country.. like Roald Dahl books with an extra dose of heartiness.

    Happy to provide tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohdearlord. This was so so so necessary right now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete