7.13.2010

campfire, kern riverbig agnes
new beach towel
purple sky
dinner
they were pointing at a bug, not me
ben, chair
private beach
ben
"triangle rock"

This camping trip was almost as epic as last summer's, just on a mini, 2 day scale.


I have been on a quest to find the perfect Southern California camping spot. (Big surprise.) Aside from being 5 hours away from San Diego the Kern River might be it. The river was pretty strong, what with all the snow that was had this year, but we were able to carve out a nice little swim spot off our beach. The temperature was hot enough that the cold water felt great, perfect for sticking our chairs in and just lounging all day. It was fantastic.

I have another lesson to add to the lessons learned list- permit myself some flexibility.

While I would not classify this excursion (in the intended spirit) as a road trip, I am going to go ahead and cross off the first item on the list-
1.Take sister on a road trip (or fly to a really cool city)

Because, and I quote, she doesn't really like to travel that much. (I know.) And? She doesn't really like cities that much. (I know.) (Hey, just cause we are sisters doesn't mean we like all the same things.) What she does like? Small quaint towns, especially ones in the desert. And we happened to travel through one of those, one that she likes just so much, she is adding it to her list of places to live. So, I think that counts in the intended spirit of the list item. Additionally it counts because we offered to take her with us on a road trip that involves stops in no less than 2 really cool cities and she declined. (I know.) But next year maybe I should take her to New Mexico? Lots of quaint desert towns there, no?

26 comments:

  1. Maybe she just hasn't figured out that she likes to travel.

    I love these photos. Your campsite reminds me of the town in Brasil where my parents grew up. Probably because of the river + rocks. (We have rusty red dirt instead of sand, though.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica9:57 AM

    we too have been searching for the perfect camp site and water is a top priority, preferably of the river variety. do you mind me asking where this is?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making a guess at where you were and if I'm right, it was one of our very favorite spots as kids. Have to get D out there.

    Rivers are my favorite type of water. Sorry beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where is this amazing place?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, share location!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I'm also curious to know. Jeremy and I need to get away at the end of august...

    I need water, and can't stand another trip to Laughlin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not the only one that wants to know the location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kern River, dudes. Keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:50 PM

    but which campsite??

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should draw us a map. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. sigh.

    it was a "primitive" campsite off the road, on the side of the river. not a campground.

    for more info check this out;

    http://www.totalescape.com/outside/campsites/dispersed-camping-sequoia/

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful pics. esp the last one. i could so use a spot in that water right about NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That photograph of the girl with the stripey towel is making my heart sing. What a fab trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That photograph of the girl with the stripey towel is making my heart sing. What a fab trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these photos so so much, Jamie! Also, jealous x1000. I need a summer moment like this bad. Hopefully I will move to the california next year and beg you to take me on a summer adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. dude. i am getting (the) southern california COVERED. i will take you.

    i should start a guide blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous3:33 PM

    how do you always make everything look so picturesque and FUN?! <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. fantastic post. i love the photographs :)

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  19. yay camping is right.

    i'm just like you...on a quest for the best campsite...near nyc that is.

    except your photos are gorgeous-er.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did Sunset Magazine call yet and ask for your photos and travel story?
    I let out a long, deep sigh as your pictures loaded. They are so still and peaceful. Plus I really wanted that hunka bread.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, so nice. I quit my stupid weekend job and in celebration we're going to go find some summer and camp by the water.

    What desert town did your sister love?

    ReplyDelete
  22. must. go. now. love these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sweet jesus. I came here to sate by urge to go camping and instead I can't get past your fucking amazing photography. You know you could make money out of that right? *coughweddingscough*

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, the photo of them looking into the tent is killer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh gorgeous. Do you feel all clean and clear of heart now?

    ReplyDelete