8.01.2012

 
I promised myself I wouldn't post too many family sessions in a row, but it being world breastfeeding week,  can't help myself! Let me explain. While I was in LA for a wedding a couple of weekends ago, I snuck in a quick and casual shoot with one of my FAVORITE little families; Christina, and her wife Patty, and their sweet baby Beatrice. Well- Bea is in this phase where she wants to nurse while being read to. It is kind of adorable. (If a wee bit of a nuisance to her patient mama.) And since we were happy to sit back and let her direct the morning (rather than try and pose a busy toddler), that is what we have a lot of photos of! Which I loooooove. I am so happy to be able to share a positive image of (what our country considers extended) breastfeeding, and I think it is important to be vocal/upfront about breastfeeding. The more people are exposed to it, the more normal it becomes and our society accepting of it, the more woman are likely to be successful in meeting their breastfeeding goals. (Here is some reading on the subject). In other news, how AWESOME is Bea's drum set? Pickin up skills from her  ma! RAD. Thanks guys, for letting me be a part of this morning! PS All Images are totally suitable for work! 



As usual, I am available to photograph YOUR family in Southern California. Email me at desertfete (at) gmail (dot) com.

20 comments:

  1. I wish I had some of your photos to commemorate the time I spent breast-feeding my babies, then toddlers, then pre-schoolers. It should be celebrated, I agree. It's such a lovely time and relationship - even if it's often hard going at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hard going, indeed! preschoolers even? we will have to chat one day. longer. ;)

      Delete
  2. beautiful images. I love the light in the bedroom pictures w/ the soft focus. *On a side note, this may seem like a random question..but I am gonna go for it: how do you place two vertical images side-by-side on blogger? I have been trying to figure it out, because visually it looks beautiful, and I can't for life of me figure out how to do it. ANy tips, or sites you can direct me too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i format it as one image BEFORE i upload it. ;)

      and THANK YOU!

      Delete
    2. thank you. & I agree, keep your photos here, I was drawn to your blog for it's simplicity and your photographic talent. Keep it real, and keep doing what you are doing!

      Delete
  3. i especially love the wide through the doorway, and the super thoughtful one of bea right underneath it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that was when she started hamming it up. ;)

      Delete
  4. Anonymous6:32 PM

    It makes me so happy to see toddler breast feeding portrayed naturally and beautifully, what gorgeous pictures. A while ago you mentioned possibly starting an additional blog to devote to your photography, I think you should keep it here. The kind of things that seem to draw you in as a photographer, lend themselves so cohesively to this blog. I love seeing the family photos, it is so important for all of us to see birth, breastfeeding, and all things baby related in an honest and positive way. This makes me really happy. xoxo Lu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lu! i just don't ever want to like, dump all my work projects on people, making it seem too much like advertising? but it is nice to hear it isn't crossing over into that. :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful post of a beautiful family. Gorgeous photos! I love your upbeat, straightforward message about extended breast feeding. I agree with everything Lu from the homeslice blog wrote as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a beautiful shoot. i love the light.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jamie, these are so beautiful. You're amazing. And how gorgeous are Bea, Christine and Patty? SO gorgeous, is the answer.

    Now you need to come to the UK, okays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i really, really do. you know one of my favorite peoples lives in london? i think he even has an extra room.....

      Delete
    2. Another of your favourite people is going to live there soon. She won't have an extra room but you'd be very welcome to sleep on her floor.

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful photos (wish I lived in so cal)!!
    It's inspiring to watch someone follow their passion.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE these! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow, you are amazing.
    these images are stunning and you captured such a beautiful family so perfectly. :)
    -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so stunning and simple! Love how you captured their beautiful little family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. s. Fawn DeViney5:42 AM

    these are incredible. every last frame.

    ReplyDelete